This year’s Boston Marathon is fast approaching (4.21.2014) and will undoubtedly be one of the most important race days in the long, prestigious history of the event. The good folks who organize the Boston Marathon every year have come up with a ridiculously solid concept which will let anyone compete in the Boston Marathon virtually, and at the same time donate to the One Fund Boston. The app essentially creates a virtual experience in which all runners, regardless of ability or geography, can participate in the athletic spirit of the event. You can download the app HERE or check out BOSTONMARATHONWORLDRUN.ORG
If you are like me, the idea of running a full marathon (or anywhere near it) is intimidating. But, thankfully, the app allows you to pledge to run, walk or crawl any distance you want and – regardless of whatever that distance may be – you can send it to your family and friends so they can track your progress. In addition, you can check out anyone else across the world who has downloaded the app.
Boston Marathon World Run, available for all desktop and mobile platforms, integrates with social media networks to create a virtual running community. The objective is for participants to achieve their self-determined running goals by the evening of the 2014 Boston Marathon, April 21, 2014. Users, who can participate individually or in teams, receive digital training and finisher badges as part of the program, as well as a bib number and finisher certificate. Participants are also encouraged to upload their distance pledged, photo
Here are the simple steps to fully enjoying the experience.
• Pledge to run, walk, or wheel any distance, and complete that distance at one time or over several weeks leading up to April 21, 2014
• Along the way, follow the progress you and your friends’ strive towards your goals
• Share their World Run through photos, videos, and messages
• Receive a free race bib, finisher’s certificate and finisher’s medal
• Keep pace with the latest news and updates from the Boston Marathon, its partners and fans around the globe
• Make a donation towards One Fund Boston, of an amount of your choice
• Global ambassadors will encourage participation from every corner of the globe to be a part of the Boston Marathon World Run Community
Here is a look at the app and you can download it HERE where it is available to Apple and Android users. Congrats and thanks to everyone who is involved in this project, including the governing body of the event, Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.), and Lagardère Unlimited, the collaborating partner who helped develop the strategy and execution of the platform.discussion by Sidelines