You have to give it to the folks over at Esurance for trying something new, and absolutely nailing it in the process. The company (with the help of their agency, Leo Burnett) put on a promotion where the company would give away $1.5 million dollars to a lucky Twitter user who tweeted the hashtag #EsuranceSave30. [You can check out a great write-up from Ad Week HERE about the full sweepstakes].
Ad Week also got a hold of some of the success metrics which came from the stunt, and as you can see it definitely worked.
• 5.4 million uses of the #EsuranceSave30 hashtag
• More than 200,000 entries within the first minute of the Esurance commercial airing
• 1.4 million hashtag uses in the first hour and 4.5 million in the first 24 hours
• 2.6 billion social impressions on Twitter
• 332,000 views of the Esurance commercial on YouTube
• 261,000 new followers on the official Esurance Twitter account—an increase of nearly 3,000 percent
• A 12x spike in visits to the Esurance website in the first hours of the sweepstakes