There were a number of really wonderful moments from Sunday’s 86th Annual Academy Awards: Lupita Nyong’o’s acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress, host Ellen Degeneres joking with June Squibb and the Bette Midler revival.
However, there were a number of really not-so-wonderful moments and I’d like to share my top 10:
1. Jennifer Lawrence follows up last years Academy Awards with another fall. This time just taking a slight tumble on the carpet. And attempting to take her entourage down with her. Drunk. I’m kidding. I love her.
2. Apparently Pharrell Williams was wearing Lanvin but – listen, bud – it doesn’t matter how designer your duds are… you were wearing bermuda shorts.
3. Ellen more or less called Liza Minelli a man in her opening monologue saying, “One of the most amazing Liza Minelli impersonators I have ever seen in my entire life… Good job, sir. I mean, that is really…” And look at that woman in red – what a friend.
4. Harrison Ford’s rather depressing delivery about the the first three movies in the running for Best Film.
5. Kim Novak’s intense plastic surgery.
6. Jared Leto made a moving and comprehensive speech. The only thing I would note is his assertion that those in Ukraine and Venezuela are hanging out on a Sunday night watching the Oscars. Leto, my man, both countries are a little preoccupied right now, but it was the right idea. I applaud you. And your hair.
7. The long list of Memoriam snubs – notably Cory Monteith and Sarah Jones. Although she got a quick mention after the fact.
8. Matthew McConaughey stating “…it’s a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates.” (insert blank stare here). It’s okay, I mean I guess you don’t really need to know what constitutes a scientific fact – you have an Oscar! Apparently he also credits himself for being his own hero. Handsome and an egoist. My fave.
9. Perhaps my favorite moment of the night, John Travolta’s intro for Idina Menzel. Pretty sure he said “Adele Dazeem” although he articulated “gorgeously” and “wickedly” just fine. I hear adverbs are his specialty.
10. And finally, the guy who jumped in on the major selfie with Ellen. Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Jared Leto, Kevin Spacey, Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jol- oh, wait – you can’t see her because Lupita Nyong’o’s date photobombed it.