The Pittsburgh Pirates won their 81st game of the season for the first time since 1992, something that they have gotten so close to the past two years and have come up short.
To realize astoundingly long the Pittsburgh Pirates have been a sub-.500 team, here are some things that will put it into perspective:
2. Czechoslovakia was still a country
3. O.J. Simpson was just a retired football player
4. Tim Duncan was still in high school
5. Kathy Ireland was on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
6. Bill Clinton was just a senator from Arkansas
7. Unforgiven won the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Director (Clint Eastwood) and Best Supporting Actor (Gene Hackman) in the 65th Academy.
8. Ray Combs was the host of “Family Feud Challenge”
9. The “Dream Team” formed and dominated the XXV Olympiad
10. Keith Olbermann was in his first year as an ESPN Sports Center Anchor
12. The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was Nintendo’s latest and greatest achievement.
13. The European Champion Clubs’ Cup changed its name to the UEFA Champions League
14. “End of the Roand” by Boyz II Men ended the year as the top single.
15. Barry Bonds was in his last season in the Steel City before going to the San Francisco Giants
Congratulations, Pittsburgh. It has been a long time coming.
(Photos Courtesy of theoldcomputer.com, Sports Illustrated, Morry Gash|ctpost.com)