Georgia State has a football team, you may ask? I did, and the answer is yes. More astonishing is that they are actually a Division 1 football team with a 6-4 record this year. More importantly this Thursday night the Georgia State Panthers travel to Bryant-Denney Stadium, home of #11th ranked Alabama. If there was ever a game to put a team on the College Football map, it is this Thursday night at 7:30 (EST) on ESPNU.
According to the Georgia State website; on April 17, 2008, Georgia State officially announced that Panthers would play Division I-AA college football starting in 2010. Additionally it was announced the Panthers would compete as part of the CAA with home games being played at the 71,228 seat Georgia Dome. Georgia State is coached by Bill Curry who has led the Panthers to a very promising 6-4 start.
A few more facts you can impress your friends with;
– The team’s first official practice took place on August 14, 2009.
– The team played its first official public spring scrimmage at the Georgia Dome on April 10, 2010, before 3,192 fans.
– The Panthers played their first football game at home (the Georgia Dome) on September 2, 2010, against Shorter University in front of a crowd of 30,237
– The Panthers won their first game 41-7.
– The Panthers’ are not a member of a conference.
– The Panthers colors are Blue and White.