The worlds of sports and dating do not always mesh. Going to games can be a weird experience if one party is more interested the game than romance. One person may care more about the fate of their team than the fate of their love life. Well, that could all change with the Free Agent app.
Broadcaster Rich Eisen attached his name to the new dating app, which matches up partners based on mutual fandom.
Here are some specs from the website:
• It’s Fast! Connect with other sports fans nearby with just a click of a button
• It’s Free! Browse up to 200 fans within 50 miles of you at no charge
• It’s Exclusive! RSVP for exclusive offers and parties in our EVENTS section
• It’s Fun! Send photos, your location, and chat inside the app
• It’s All Sports! 10 Sports to base your matches on including college teams
• It’s Everywhere! Locate your team’s bar in a new city
I’m a little confused by that last part which says it’s everywhere, but on the website it mentions that it is in LA with an NYC launch coming soon. Currently, it is only available for the iPhone, but an Android launch is coming next year.
Here’s Eisen talking about it on Good Day LA:
Los Angeles Local News, Weather, and Traffic
Overall, this seems like a great idea, but I still have a few qualms. How many women do they expect to sign up? Also, my team is the Minnesota Timberwolves. I don’t know how many T-Wolves fans there are here in Boston (and how many bars carry their games.)
If there are dating apps for dog lovers there’s sure to be a market for sports fans.[H/T Forbes]