Still one of the best villains in all of science fiction, the HAL 9000 is a force to be reckoned with. As a kid I always wanted a computer that I could have a conversation with (a decent one, not Siri) and now you can almost sort of do just that!
The finest replica of the HAL 9000 ever made, this wall decoration is based on the actual studio blueprints, for exact perfection (even down to the original studio files for the HAL 9000 label). The lens (originally a Nikkor) has been custom ground to match the specifications and the casing is made from 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum.
If you speak to HAL for more than 1.2 seconds, he will reply with one of 15 programmed phrases from the movie, up to and including singing “Daisy” to you.
Here’s a rundown of what we’re dealing with:
HAL 9000 Life-Size Replica
- The most movie-accurate HAL 9000 replica ever created.
- Based on the blueprints and studio files from the 1968 movie (keep in mind the prop was made before the movie release, hence the blueprints were from 1967).
- Machined in 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum. Black components are anodized.
- Custom-ground glass lens with red LED eye (sticker included to make this lens have the Nikkor wording as seen in some close-ups).
- Digital sound randomly cycles through 15 phrases from the film.
- Trigger HAL’s speech by talking to him (must talk for over 1200 Ms (1.2 seconds) to trigger voice activation) or by pressing a button on most IR remote controls.
- Did we mention this is frickin’ HAL 9000?
- Rotate the lens ring to activate.
- Two minute auto-shutoff (to conserve battery) (or point an IR remote at it and hold button for 4 seconds).
- Easily mounts to wall (wall mounting hardware not included).
- Hand-assembled to make sure they are perfect.
- Batteries: 1 9-volt (included).
- Weight: approx. 2 lbs.
- Dimensions: 13.6″ x 4.6″ x 1.125″ (exact to the movie blueprints)
And, of course, the demo in video form. If any of you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket by all means please get me one.[Think Geek]