“You say tomato, I say chips and salsa!”
Ok guys, it’s summer, it’s hot, the margies are flowing (that’s my next post, so hold tight!), and it’s time to make some delicious appies (appies=appetizers, you dum dums!).
Here are 3 different salsas that will make you want to reconsider vegetables as an anti-dude food group. Here we go:
Salsa Verde with a Twist
- 4-6 large or 6-8 small tomatillos (they look like a green tomato with a thin green paper like skin)
- 1 whole Roma tomato
- Handful of cilantro (about 1/4-1/2 cup) – chopped fine
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 avocados- depending on your creamy preference ;)- this is my secret ingredient, it adds a really great taste and texture.
- 3-5 garlic cloves- make it as garlic-y as you like, I prefer a strong garlic taste.
- 3-4 tablespoons veg oil
- S/P (salt and pepper) to taste.
- 1 whole jalapeño. Seeded for less spice.
OK super easy recipe:
- Peel the tomatillos (they have a paper like skin that does not taste good).
- In a sauté pan, cut the tomatillos in quarters with some veg oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add Roma tomato, quartered.
- Once the tomatoes are softened and start to fall apart in the pan, you’re ready to blend everything.
- Take the mixture and drop in blender, add the rest of the ingredients. Only use about a handful of ripped cilantro leaves.
- Taste and add more S/P if needed
- For a creamier texture add more avocado (that’s my trick…for most things in life). It should still have a salsa like consistency.
- If you think it tastes too spicy or tart, add a little water to the blend.
- Serve in bowl with chips.
Mango and Pineapple Salsa
- 1 Mango-chopped in 1/4” cubes
- 4 oz pineapple ( about 1/8 of a whole pineapple- use the rest in a mixed cocktail so you don’t waste product!!)-1/4” cubes
- 1/4 red onion – chopped fine
- Handful of Cilantro leaves- chopped fine (LIKE YOUR MOTHER DID LAST NIGHT)
- Juice of 1 lime, freshly squeezed (LIKE YOUR MOTHER DID LAST NIGHT)
- 1 Roma tomato- chopped fine
- 1 Jalapeño- seeded and chopped fine
- S/P- to taste
What to do:
- Mix together and taste! Should be pretty refreshing.
- Enjoy with more chips, over grilled chicken or fish, or whatever floats your boat- who am I to judge what you do on your own time.
Pico de Gallo de Evalicous
- 8-10 Roma tomatoes- quarter them, cut into strips, then into smaller squares
- Handful Cilantro leaves-chopped fine
- 1/4 Red onion-chopped fine
- 1/2 Yellow onion-chopped fine
- 1 Serrano chile-chopped fine
- 2-3 oz Olive oil
- 3-4 peeled and chopped Garlic cloves
- 1 Jalapeño- (if you want to spice it up. I know I use it in the others but it’s more of a preference not a necessity.)
- S/P to taste
What to do:
- Mix everything, taste for seasoning, serve with more carbs, over a taco, with chicken, whatever you want- get nasty with it! I know I will!
Let’s start this summer cooking right!